Thursday, December 10, 2009

Thankful


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.
-- Melody Beattie

I love this quote. It's beautifully true and full of hope. There is a serenity and warmth about it, and makes my soul smile.

Over the past couple months I have felt more thankful than ever. Which, by the way, is difficult to imagine, as I consider myself fairly aware of just how lucky and truly blessed my life is. (I also think I am pretty good at vocalizing that gratitude to the people in my life too; A trait I am quite happy to brag about.)

There are so many particular instances and so many larger things, it's a mosaic of appreciation. From cooking a successful Thanksgiving dinner with my husband and catching up with my girlfriend over a long phone call, to spending time with my new family and being able to laugh freely. I don't think a day goes by that I don't feel it or think it. It comes from the wildest of places too - that bright blue San Franciscan sky, the smiling homeless man in front of the Walgreens down the street, the sound of someone singing in the shower, a friend telling a joke, the free samples of cheese and chocolate from the shop around the corner, my mother's long-winded stories, the smell of the eucalyptus wreath in our house, warm gloves... just to name a few.

Just wanted to say "thanks".

1 comment:

  1. You make me so happy. This is such a wonderful gratitude list, and makes me feel so grateful to know you!

    ReplyDelete