Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Weekend Explorers


There are a thousand and one reasons to love San Francisco... and really, don't get me started on a list right now. However, one of the best things about living here is the opportunity to endlessly explore, even in the dead of "winter".

An extra long walk from anyone's doorway will reveal a neighborhood most likely unexplored previously. It's too easy and more than enticing to keep on walking - just to see what's on the other side of the next block. And most likely, there will be a wonderful surprise of a newly discovered vintage clothing store, dog park, coffee stand, street food vendor, prettily painted house, park bench, odd-looking tree, amazing restaurant you've been hearing about, and so much more.

When I was first dating John, I would come here from Colorado for a romantic and whimsical weekend to see him and we would spend the whole weekend exploring. I would arrive and we would step outside and head to a far-off neighborhood in the city... and I always thought he had put so much planning into it. Little did I know that he was just all too lucky to simply live here... and no matter where we headed, it was a treat for the senses.

We still go on these exploring weekends quite often. Each time we head out on a Saturday or Sunday morning with only hours to find ourselves in a new neighborhood; and of course, a good spot for brunch. The newness, unknown and small delightful finds make me feel like I am still traveling... finding my own way in life, tasting new cultures, and harmoniously sharing it with the love of my life.

I always know it's going to be a good weekend when I put on my walking shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment